In December we like to do what we call Christmas School and that would not be complete without a Christmas themed morning basket. After six years of spending the month of December having loads of Christmas fun it’s become quite a tradition for us.
There is just nothing better than doing morning basket every day next to the twinkling lights of the Christmas tree cuddled up together on the couch.
What’s A Morning Basket?
Simply put a morning basket is a collection of things that allows you begin your day with beauty, goodness, and truth as a family and is normally placed in a basket. It is a time to bring everyone together to connect before transitioning to the more individualized subjects. Most people fill their basket with books, quiet activities for their kids to do while reading and maybe a quick game. Morning basket can look different for each family, no two are the same.
What Do You Put in A Morning Basket?
The four main catergories of things that we include in our morning basket each month are read alouds, madlibs and/or trivia, hands-on activities, and games. The main reason we include these are because they are Emily’s favorite things and I find I like to start our day by connecting and filling her love tank.
Where Does A Morning Basket Fit Into Your Homeschool Day?
Each morning (or whatever time we start our homeschool day) she enjoys the hands-on activities while I read aloud, then we do either a mad lib or some trivia, and we finish our morning basket time by playing a game together. What’s in this basket might look like a lot but chipping away at it every day for a month or so normally ensures we will get to enjoy it all.
What’s in Our Christmas Themed Morning Basket?
Mad Libs and/or Trivia:
- Laugh Out Loud Christmas Jokes for Kids
- Would You Rather? Christmas Edition
- National Geographic Weird But True Christmas
- Holly Jolly Mad Libs
- Unwrapping the Greatest Gift: A Family Celebration of Christmas
- How Winston Came Home for Christmas
- The Last Holiday Concert
- The Christmas Pig
- Christmas is Coming: Traditions from Around the World
- Christmas Around the World (On My Own Holidays)
- Christmas Around the World: A Christmas Holiday Book for Kids
- And Christmas Picture Books GALORE!
Hands-On Quiet Activities:
- Our Favorite Christmas Puzzles
- Paint by Sticker Kids: Holly Jolly Christmas
- Perler Christmas Fuse Bead Craft Kit
- DIY Latch Hook Kits Novelty Christmas Socks for Kids
- Wooden Christmas Ornaments
- Spot It! Holidays
- Spot It! Rudolph
- Princess Holiday Present Party Card Game
- Chip ‘n’ Dale Christmas Treasures Game
- Grinch Grow Your Heart Card Game
- Lumps Dice Game
Art & Music
Chalk Pastel has quite the collection of Christmas art lessons that we will choose from and add to our morning time each day.
The SQUILT Holiday/Seasonal Collection provides content to study music appreciation over various holidays and seasons. You can choose from three different volumes of Christmas Carols or enjoy The Nutcracker.
Join Our Morning Basket Community
We would love to have you join us in the Morning Baskets Facebook Group. Morning Baskets & More Facebook Group is a resource for homeschooling families who wish to add morning baskets to their day. This community is a place to share your morning baskets, ask questions about using morning baskets in your homeschool and get inspiration from others.