Dive into the ocean with us using this fin-tastic ocean themed morning basket. Full of wonderful under the sea resources perfect for your homeschool morning time.
We are planning to spend the summer homeschool semester studying the ocean. We are so excited about the topic that we decided to extend the fun to our morning time. What could be more perfect for summer than spending our time diving into the sea together?
What’s A Morning Basket?
Simply put a morning basket is a collection of things that allows you begin your day with beauty, goodness, and truth as a family and is normally placed in a basket. It is a time to bring everyone together to connect before transitioning to the more individualized subjects. Most people fill their basket with books, quiet activities for their kids to do while reading and maybe a quick game. Morning basket can look different for each family, no two are the same.
What Do You Put in A Morning Basket?
The four main catergories of things that we include in our morning basket each month are read alouds, madlibs and/or trivia, hands-on activities, and games. The main reason we include these are because they are Emily’s favorite things and I find I like to start our day by connecting and filling her love tank.
Where Does A Morning Basket Fit Into Your Homeschool Day?
Each morning (or whatever time we start our homeschool day) she enjoys the hands-on activities while I read aloud, then we do either a mad lib or some trivia, and we finish our morning basket time by playing a game together. What’s in this basket might look like a lot but chipping away at it every day for a month or so normally ensures we will get to enjoy it all.
What’s in Our Ocean Themed Morning Basket?
Mad Libs and/or Trivia:
- Baby Whales Drink Milk
- What Lives in a Shell
- Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean
- How Deep is the Ocean?
- Who Eats What?
- Life in Coral Reef
- Sharks Have Six Senses
- What is it Like to be a Fish?
- Seashells More than a Home
- All About Mollusks
- About Habitats: Oceans
- Ocean Animal Habitats for Kids
- Save the Ocean
- Save the Sharks
- Real Life Monsters Creatures of the Deep
- Who Would Win Ultimate Shark Rumble
- Who Would Win Ultimate Ocean Rumble
- Flying Deep
- Shark Lady
- Swimming with Sharks
- Ocean Speaks
- Secrets of the Sea
- Life in the Ocean
- The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau
- Solving the Puzzle Under the Sea
Hands-On Quiet Activities:
- Playdough Mats from the Ocean Unit Study
- Pattern Block Mats from the Ocean Unit Study
- Paint by Sticker Kids Under the Sea
- Usborne Under the Sea Mazes
- Sea Turtle Plus Plus Blocks
- Dolphins Plus Plus Blocks
- Depths of the Oceans Puzzle
- Usborne Book & Jigsaw Puzzle Under the Sea
- Build the Shark
- Top Trumps Which is the Scariest Shark
- Top Trumps Creatures of the Deep
- Go Poop Ocean
- Brain Busters Under the Sea
- Professor Noggins Ocean Life
Join Our Morning Basket Community
We would love to have you join us in the Morning Baskets Facebook Group. Morning Baskets & More Facebook Group is a resource for homeschooling families who wish to add morning baskets to their day. This community is a place to share your morning baskets, ask questions about using morning baskets in your homeschool and get inspiration from others.