As the new school year nears I keep seeing all the things and wanting to buy all the things, it really is a sickness called “shinythingitus“. So to combat “shinythingitus” I started asking myself (at every back to school sale) do I really need this or do I just want this.
Most of the time I just want it. In fact, I only wanted so many things that it made me wonder, what do I really NEED to homeschool? I was shocked when I listed just 5 items that I needed for homeschooling.
- Library Card, this is my number one must have. With my library card I can check out books, CDs and DVDs and also use apps like Hoopla and OverDrive to read ebooks and listen to audio books for free.
- Computer, I can use my computer to buy curriculum, search Pinterest, watch video tutorials on YouTube for just about every subject, and watch educational shows on streaming services such as Curiosity Stream.
- Printer, I cannot live without my printer, in fact I use it so much that I have the highest not even open to the public HP Instant Ink Plan at 700 pages a month. I do a lot of printing. I buy most of my curriculum digitally so I print almost everything myself.
- Laminator, I love to laminate. There is nothing better than the smell of my laminator warming up on the counter. I laminate ALL THE THINGS, I think it makes everything prettier and more durable so the things last longer.
- Proclick (Binding Machine), I love binding almost as much as laminating and I really do not like driving to the office store every time I need something done. The Proclick has spines that reopen which make me super happy because I can change the things that I have bound if I need to.
Seriously though, I really could homeschool effectively and successfully with JUST these 5 things and some internet service. I could either buy digital curriculum or make my own. I could get all of our books from the library, and I could stream documentaries.
What are your homeschool must haves?
Related Posts: Tips & Tricks